In this blog, we will give an overview of Material determination in SAP SD. During Order processing, the SAP system can then automatically swap the material with the standard packaging to the material with the special packaging for any particular period. Material determination can be used during an advertising campaign, for example, if a product is only to be sold in special packaging. In this case, the system replaces the material in its usual packaging with the material in the appropriate special packaging for a set period of time.
With material determination, the material entered is replaced automatically from the material found during the Sales order creation based on available condition records maintained is the system. Material determination depends on the sales document and can, for example, be utilized in marketing when a product is simply to be sold with packaging.
The Material determination can be done against any keyword and not automatically against a present Material. The determination can also be considered against accessible quantities of the Materials to be replaced
When you create a sales document, Material determination enables us to find certain materials automatically using a key already stored in the condition records rather than the material number. With material determination, the material entered is replaced Automatically from the material found during sales document creation. This material determination is determined by the sales document and can, for example, be utilized in a promotion when a product is only to be sold with packaging.
Table of Contents
How to do material determination in sap sd ?
Understand the Prerequisites for Material Determination
Material determination control is carried out using the condition technique. When controlling material determination, the following condition technique elements collaborate:
- The condition table determines the field combinations needed to create a master record for material determination. Table 001 in the standard R/3 system specifies that master records for material determination contain the field “Material entered.”
- The access sequence is a search strategy the system uses to find valid condition records for each condition type. The access sequence refers to the fields for a material determination that is contained in the access sequence via the condition tables. In the standard R/3 system, condition type A001 is configured.
- The material determination type is defined by the condition type. In the standard R/3 system, condition type A001 is configured.
- The condition types to be used for material determination are determined by procedures. In the standard R/3 system, Procedure A00001 is configured with Condition type A001. As a result, in the case of material determination, only condition records of Condition type A001 are considered.
We may further be customized based on business requirements. See Customizing, Sales and distribution -> System Modification -> User exits -> User exits in Sales -> User exits in sales document processing for a description of how data is provided in these fields via user exits.
Configuring material determination entails the following steps
- Defining Condition Tables, Access Sequence, Condition Type, and Maintaining Determination
- Procedure Assigning Determination Procedure to Sales Document Types
- Define Reasons for Substitution and Substitution Strategies.
Lets understands each of this activity ,Material determination customizing requires 3 simple major steps:
IMG > SD > Basic Functions > Material determination > Maintain pre requisites for material determination.
In this steps we need to define Defining Condition Tables, Access Sequence, Condition Type, and Maintaining Determination procedure
We need assign an appropriate material determination procedure (A00001 in the standard R/3 system) to the Sales document type so that material determination can be performed
Assign procedures to sales document type
Material determination is done based on the sales document. In this step, you can specify whether material determination should be performed for each type of sales document.To do so, you must define a material determination procedure for each type of sales document.
To activate Material determination, We are required to assign Material Determination Procedure to Sales Document Type
IMG > SD > Basic Functions > Material determination > Assign procedures to sales document type
Define Substitution Reasons
This is a reason for material substitution and specifies the reason why the system automatically carried out the material substitution
You define substitution reasons for material determination in this step. For material determination, the substitution reasons are recorded in the master records. For each substitution reason, you can specify additional control parameters and system responses:
You can specify whether the substituted material is included in relevant output types (for example, order confirmation), so that after material determination, you can tell what the original material was.
- You can choose whether or not the system displays a warning message before substituting a material.
- You can choose whether material is automatically substituted by another or whether a list of possible substitutes is displayed for selection.
- You specify whether a document item is replaced or whether the substitute is created as a subitem of the original entry with the result.
IMG > SD > Basic Functions > Material determination > Define substitution reasons
Material determination condition records maintenance
Now, need to create condition records for each of the material determination condition types. Transactions VB11 & VB12 can be used to create & modify existing records for material determination condition records.
To create condition records, use Tcode- VB11.Then created sales order to test material determination
Material determination in sap sd table
The tables updated by Material Determination Condition records will be determined by your Tables/Access Sequences configuration. In general, KONDD & KONDDP are additional Material Determination table
Tcode for material determination in SAP SD
Material Determination configuration customization discussed in above mention article .In short .Tcode VB11 use for material determination in sap sd
Material substitution in SAP SD
Material substitution is a widely used technique in sap that allows for the automatic substitution of one material for another when a customer creates an order. Using OVRQ, we can define substitute reasons.
Hope this article helps you enterprise structure in SAP SD, Here are a couple of other articles that you check
- Enterprise structure
- SAP Standard reports
- SD Determination
- SAP WM Vs SAP EWM
- sap ariba procurement
- sap fiori app library
- SAP SD Interview Questions for Freshers and Experienced